N.Dip Fine Art (Cape Peninsula University Of Technology)
Contemporary visual artist Lizelle Kruger works in a variety of media from a studio in Cape Town. Known for her detailed paintings depicting a nude woman with white bonnet - a trademark of the artist’s oeuvre - the artist takes her inspiration from the South African people and landscapes, which give her pieces a distinctly local aesthetic.
Her latest body of work however, makes a dramatic departure. Kruger uses a subdued colour palette in her loosely painted, impressionistic charcoal and oil “drawings” in which she delves into the Mother City’s past. Forceful removals and the ‘Sugar Girls’ of District Six are juxtaposed with lively street scenes of Cape Town from the 1920s to 1960s.
Having graduated with a Diploma in Fine Art Kruger subsequently joined the army, working in the production department of the SADF. A Volkskas and Brett Kebble Art Award finalist, she has exhibited both nationally and internationally, and her murals and sculptures for the SADF can still be seen at regimental headquarters around South Africa. Her work is collected worldwide.
Selected Exhibitions and Awards
• Finalist for the Volkskas Atelier Competition in 1989 & 1991
• Finalist for the Brett Kebble Art Awards 2003
• Designed and sculptured a 7m x 2.3m ceramic mural for the foyer to the Armscor building - entrance of the SA National Defence Force
• Three of the artist’s pastel drawings were presented to Dr Franklin Sonn, a former South African Ambassador to the USA
• The artist’s works can be found in private collections in the UK, Germany, Austria, Australia, USA, Singapore, Ireland and the United Arab Emirates
1993 SANDF Group Exhibition - Pretoria
1994 One man Exhibition - Riversdale
1996 Group Exhibition - The Castle, Cape Town
2003 One man Exhibition - The Cape Gallery, Cape Town
2006 Group Exhibition - Oisin Gallery, Dublin, Ireland
2007 Group Exhibition – The Cape Gallery, Cape Town
Group Summer Exhibition – Oisin, Dublin, Ireland
2008 Group Exhibition – Women in Art – Mondo Arte Gallery, UAE, Dubai
Group Exhibition – Salon 91 Contemporary Art Collection, Cape Town
2011 One-man Exhibition Salon 91 Contemporary Art Collection, Cape Town
2011 One-man Exhibition - The Castle, Cape Town